.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lauren Goes Looney In London

Watch in awe as Lauren wanders aimlessly through London, hoping against hope that she will stumble across Mr. Darcy, Mark Darcy, or even just Colin Firth. Or, more likely, read about the wild times she has while standing around in queues and wondering why she has eight different types of coinage in her pocket.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, November 25, 2005

Thanksgiving the British way!

It was a very nice Thanksgiving. I had class which of course put a slight damper on the holiday, but it was pleasant anyhow. I got to leave class a little early to go drink wine and eat turkey with about 100 other American students at UCL, set up by the Provost's office to "show its good relationship with the US." Or something. Whatever, free turkey.

There was a small reception at the beginning with wine, and where the school officials kept trying to get us to mingle. I don't need to know anymore Americans! I moved between conversing with the two girls there I already knew. The school officials kept moving from group to group very concerned with whether or not we were mingling and what we were talking about. Two very befuddled older women came to our circle and introduced themselves and then proceeded to talk in very soft voices at us, and I don't really know what they were saying, but I think they were complementing each other to us. Then one of them, clearly thinking we needed a conversation starter (we had been talking to each other just fine until we were interrupted), exclamed, "So tell me about Pumpkin pie!"

I realized that this could very well be a very silly afternoon, and quickly excused myself for another glass of wine.

We were moved into a room with tables with full place settings and nice china. Caterers were milling about. I didn't know what to expect, but I didn't expect it to be that nice. Claire and I sat down at a table which ended up being the head table. Each table had one place setting reserved for an official, and when I noticed I was right about to sit next to one, and afraid I'd spend the entire afternoon listening to "So what is this cranberry sauce all about," I quickly made Claire switch with me. Ends up being the seat the Provost of the school was sitting at, which was quite nice. We were served all our food first.

We dined on dinner rolls, prawn and corn (?) soup, turkey, dressing, a dollop of mashed potatoes, and the smallest serving of corn and green beans I have ever encountered (and not hidden in a pudding or slathered in mushroom soup). But who wants vegetables on Thanksgiving anyways? The provost said the chef was French and very displeased at having to make an authentic American Thanksgiving meal, because he apparently thought it was too bland and kept wanting to spice things up. The Provost gave a speech and I learned that UCL is sister schools with NYU. By the time the main courses were over, it was already nearly 2pm, and I had another lecture to get to. But I couldn't leave without having pie, and finally we were served little miniature pumpkin pies that were clearly not from a can. I had to wolf it down and run out just as they were passing around cups for tea so I could make it to my lecture 15 minutes late.

I then got back to my dorm to find a package waiting for me. A copy of the new Veruca Salt EP, signed by Louise, with a pass to the afterparty that could have been mine if I were there, all from Sherril. :D Lovely Thanksgiving present!

Sunday I will do Thanksgiving again with some friends from class. I've just got back from Marks & Spencer's with the potatoes and some wine.

Hope all of your holidays went well!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to take all the credit, but the pass was originally Josee's! Although,I did drive all the way to the Southside main post office to make sure it was in good hands! Yay!

Sherril

Saturday, November 26, 2005 12:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

invisible hit counter