V-Day with the laydees
I always like Valentine's Day for the candy and friends. I don't think it's ever been a romantic holiday for me. Just a day at school where you got silly cards and was allowed to eat lots of chocolate. I always say I hate it, but secretly I enjoy it because I am an outsider. An observer. As a nonparticipant you can't really feel one way or the other. This is my general stance on life, and what I prefer.
Anyways, I was an observer on Valentine's Day. I headed into Camden and unexpectedly found some extra time on my hands, so I wandered around. The signs of Valentine's Day were everywhere, and I noticed them with a detached, amused sort of look that smug hipsters have when they're doing something ironically.
There were countless men (delivery? otherwise?) wandering up and down the streets holding printouts of Yahoo maps in one hand and a bouquet of expensive flowers in the other. I saw a sad woman sitting in Starbucks with a single rose in her lap and a look of utter rejection on her face. Also, countless teenagers with their hands in each other's baggy pockets. The ones who take romance for granted. Mostly I wondered why we are all so silly, out their acting like morons, wandering around blindly, groping for something. Because it feels good, I guess, in the end. If it all works out. After all the stumbling.
Eventually, I met up with Andy for a drink and the afternoon flew by. Sadly, we parted and I headed back for my real Valentine's Day plans: pizza, ice cream, and Gone With The Wind. Complete with pajama sleepover (no pillowfights). Total girly night. Also, good movie with strong message ("Land is the only thing that matters. The only thing worth fighting for, worth dying for!"). Scarlett didn't need no man! Girl power! (*Smug, detached look of amusement.*)
Anyways, I was an observer on Valentine's Day. I headed into Camden and unexpectedly found some extra time on my hands, so I wandered around. The signs of Valentine's Day were everywhere, and I noticed them with a detached, amused sort of look that smug hipsters have when they're doing something ironically.
There were countless men (delivery? otherwise?) wandering up and down the streets holding printouts of Yahoo maps in one hand and a bouquet of expensive flowers in the other. I saw a sad woman sitting in Starbucks with a single rose in her lap and a look of utter rejection on her face. Also, countless teenagers with their hands in each other's baggy pockets. The ones who take romance for granted. Mostly I wondered why we are all so silly, out their acting like morons, wandering around blindly, groping for something. Because it feels good, I guess, in the end. If it all works out. After all the stumbling.
Eventually, I met up with Andy for a drink and the afternoon flew by. Sadly, we parted and I headed back for my real Valentine's Day plans: pizza, ice cream, and Gone With The Wind. Complete with pajama sleepover (no pillowfights). Total girly night. Also, good movie with strong message ("Land is the only thing that matters. The only thing worth fighting for, worth dying for!"). Scarlett didn't need no man! Girl power! (*Smug, detached look of amusement.*)
1 Comments:
The real "Tara" is about an hour northwest of Dublin, a high hill once occupied by the "High Kings" of Ireland.
Post a Comment
<< Home