Feelin' supersonic
I think it's about time for an update.
So my week was pretty full, I have to say. I had a quiet weekend, spending a little time reading and looking for jobs. Sunday, Claire and I were feeling a bit homesick, so we went to Leicester Square to an American themed diner and had overpriced milkshakes and chips and onion rings. It wasn't even close to anything American, but we had cheesy fun.
Then we went to watch the World Cup final at a pub in Camden Town called the Misty Moon. Soccer/Football continues to mostly bore me, especially when I have no preference for either team (Claire is of Italian heritage, and so was cheering them on). Mostly we just chatted and enjoyed a pint of cider until they went into extra time and both tired, we headed out.
Monday I got the study bug, and made my way to campus planning an afternoon in the library and then a quiet evening in with some articles to read. I threw on some grubby clothes and headed out the door. But that's just now how things worked out!
I spent most of the day in the library while thunderstorms rolled overhead. I got a lot accomplished and was feeling pretty productive. Around 5, I grabbed a bus and headed to Oxford St. to have a coffee with Andy and then accompany him to see one of his favorite comedians tape a radio show in Shepherd's Bush. He finds free tickets to loads of these things, which is why I've seen a few. Whilst having coffee, I got a message from Anna, my Swedish friend, who was in town and wanted to meet up. I didn't have much time for her, disappointingly, but she found us in the Starbucks and we had a good catch up.
It was very lovely to see her again, and while I was very happy to be productive on my dissertation, I know if that I had chosen to stay on my butt and do nothing in my flat all day, I could have spent the whole afternoon with her! This is why I never get any work done, people!
We parted ways after only about 15 minutes, and I followed Andy westwards on the Central Line. The show we were seeing a taping of was called "That Was Then, This Is Now" and it looks back on what happened this week in history and makes fun of it. They taped two shows back to back with us. It was a very, very funny show. However, I don't think it's airing until late August/early September. I thought that a bit odd, that they'd tape so far in advance for radio. But interesting nonetheless.
Home again, jiggidy jig.
Tuesday I did a bit of work, and then headed out with Claire and Danielle to see Pirates of the Caribbean 2. Johnny Depp rocking the pirate get up. No complaints there! Claire came back and had dinner with Danielle and I and we acted like girly girls for the rest of the evening.
Wednesday it was up bright and early for the major event of the week. After 3 pleasant visits to Londonland by Graham, it was time for me to return the favor and rock the Virgin train through the Midlands to Manchester. Effortlessly caught the train and headed back towards Manchester Piccadilly, which loyal readers of the blog will remember as somewhere I spent a lot of time at about six months ago. 'Twas good to be back on familiar ground!
Seasoned traveller that I am, I even made it all the way out to East Didsbury without trouble and was met by Graham at the train station, thus beginning my week of Mancurian madness. First stop was his new flat, which is far more posh than any group of twenty-something's deserves. A bit envious there!
Last time was all about sightseeing, so this time was just spent chillin' and relaxin'. We had drinks with Graham's housemates and their work friends. It was all very silly and fun, and I got lots of "What do they wear In America?" type questions. Afterwards we watched a bit of Superman I until we were all nodding off. We puttered around Thursday, until Graham had to work. So I just hung around the flat chatting and watching TV with his other flatmates until he got home from work.
Friday was the big dealio, because it was the day Superman Returns was released on this side of the pond. Graham and his mates are all movie . . .aficianados. . .and the week pretty much led up to this climactic point. We even made a trip into "town" to see it at a special cinema after booking our tickets in advance! This is apparently what people do outside of London for fun.
It was a good time, and a fun movie. However, I didn't have nearly as many opinions about it as everyone else. Afterwards, we headed back and called it a day.
Saturday we just bummed around until it was time for Graham to go to work again, and then back to London I went. It was a nice bit of time away. Feels a bit surreal being back for some reason. A bit like I entered the real world and am now back in Fantasyland, which seems to be the opposite of most peoples' vacation experiences.
Anyhoo, it's off to Amsterdam on Tuesday, and then back again Wednesday. Then no more fun until this darn thing is written!
So my week was pretty full, I have to say. I had a quiet weekend, spending a little time reading and looking for jobs. Sunday, Claire and I were feeling a bit homesick, so we went to Leicester Square to an American themed diner and had overpriced milkshakes and chips and onion rings. It wasn't even close to anything American, but we had cheesy fun.
Then we went to watch the World Cup final at a pub in Camden Town called the Misty Moon. Soccer/Football continues to mostly bore me, especially when I have no preference for either team (Claire is of Italian heritage, and so was cheering them on). Mostly we just chatted and enjoyed a pint of cider until they went into extra time and both tired, we headed out.
Monday I got the study bug, and made my way to campus planning an afternoon in the library and then a quiet evening in with some articles to read. I threw on some grubby clothes and headed out the door. But that's just now how things worked out!
I spent most of the day in the library while thunderstorms rolled overhead. I got a lot accomplished and was feeling pretty productive. Around 5, I grabbed a bus and headed to Oxford St. to have a coffee with Andy and then accompany him to see one of his favorite comedians tape a radio show in Shepherd's Bush. He finds free tickets to loads of these things, which is why I've seen a few. Whilst having coffee, I got a message from Anna, my Swedish friend, who was in town and wanted to meet up. I didn't have much time for her, disappointingly, but she found us in the Starbucks and we had a good catch up.
It was very lovely to see her again, and while I was very happy to be productive on my dissertation, I know if that I had chosen to stay on my butt and do nothing in my flat all day, I could have spent the whole afternoon with her! This is why I never get any work done, people!
We parted ways after only about 15 minutes, and I followed Andy westwards on the Central Line. The show we were seeing a taping of was called "That Was Then, This Is Now" and it looks back on what happened this week in history and makes fun of it. They taped two shows back to back with us. It was a very, very funny show. However, I don't think it's airing until late August/early September. I thought that a bit odd, that they'd tape so far in advance for radio. But interesting nonetheless.
Home again, jiggidy jig.
Tuesday I did a bit of work, and then headed out with Claire and Danielle to see Pirates of the Caribbean 2. Johnny Depp rocking the pirate get up. No complaints there! Claire came back and had dinner with Danielle and I and we acted like girly girls for the rest of the evening.
Wednesday it was up bright and early for the major event of the week. After 3 pleasant visits to Londonland by Graham, it was time for me to return the favor and rock the Virgin train through the Midlands to Manchester. Effortlessly caught the train and headed back towards Manchester Piccadilly, which loyal readers of the blog will remember as somewhere I spent a lot of time at about six months ago. 'Twas good to be back on familiar ground!
Seasoned traveller that I am, I even made it all the way out to East Didsbury without trouble and was met by Graham at the train station, thus beginning my week of Mancurian madness. First stop was his new flat, which is far more posh than any group of twenty-something's deserves. A bit envious there!
Last time was all about sightseeing, so this time was just spent chillin' and relaxin'. We had drinks with Graham's housemates and their work friends. It was all very silly and fun, and I got lots of "What do they wear In America?" type questions. Afterwards we watched a bit of Superman I until we were all nodding off. We puttered around Thursday, until Graham had to work. So I just hung around the flat chatting and watching TV with his other flatmates until he got home from work.
Friday was the big dealio, because it was the day Superman Returns was released on this side of the pond. Graham and his mates are all movie . . .aficianados. . .and the week pretty much led up to this climactic point. We even made a trip into "town" to see it at a special cinema after booking our tickets in advance! This is apparently what people do outside of London for fun.
It was a good time, and a fun movie. However, I didn't have nearly as many opinions about it as everyone else. Afterwards, we headed back and called it a day.
Saturday we just bummed around until it was time for Graham to go to work again, and then back to London I went. It was a nice bit of time away. Feels a bit surreal being back for some reason. A bit like I entered the real world and am now back in Fantasyland, which seems to be the opposite of most peoples' vacation experiences.
Anyhoo, it's off to Amsterdam on Tuesday, and then back again Wednesday. Then no more fun until this darn thing is written!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home