.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lauren Goes Looney In London

Watch in awe as Lauren wanders aimlessly through London, hoping against hope that she will stumble across Mr. Darcy, Mark Darcy, or even just Colin Firth. Or, more likely, read about the wild times she has while standing around in queues and wondering why she has eight different types of coinage in her pocket.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I'm a laaaaaaaaaaaaady

Today is the one year anniversary of the day I arrived in Londonland. One year ago today I made it into Heathrow, and found my way to Max Rayne, got into my room, made one tiny, adventuresome journey into Camden Town, came back, took a shower, and promptly fell asleep for about 20 hours. So one year ago right now, I was sleeping.

To mark the occasion, I thought I ought to do something. Especially since staying with Chad and his girlfriend Michelle, I don't want to be here 24 hours a day. I've been trying to get out more. Today I woke up and felt like eating my lunch on the beach. The Thames is lovely, but it is but a lowly river. One does not sit on the bank of the Thames and have the same experience as one does when sitting on the shores of Lake Michigan.

Since I'd wanted to visit Brighton anyways before I left, and while it was still somewhat summery outdoors, it seemed like a good idea for today. The weather was warm and sunny. You could ask for no better.

Thus, I nabbed the Victoria line and headed over to King's Cross to take the slow, cheap train down to Brighton (£9 return!). The journey lasted for about an hour and fifteen minutes, and I arrived there just in time for lunch. I headed straight to the sea, bought some takeaway fish and chips, and sat my butt down on the pebbly beach to bask in the sun and the spray. It was a very rejuvenating experience. The salty air immediately improved my London-smog filled lungs. It was a brilliant idea.


The sea!!

I walked along the beach, sinking into the loose rocks, and dipping my hands into the sea. Then I walked up to Brighton Pier, very much like Navy Pier with rides and shops running the length. Since it's a weekday and off-season, lots of things were closed, but it was also pretty empty so there weren't many crowds to fight with. Just lots of elderly people manning slot machines.


Brighton Pier from the beach. And old lady sleeping on beach.


Brighton

After that, I walked around looking at shops and stuff, before finding my way to the Royal Pavillion. This insane monstrosity was turned into an Asian palace for the Prince Regent, with the outside modelled after Indian architecture, and the inside decorated in the Chinoise style, replete with brightly colored wallpaper and huge dragon-themed crystal chandeliers. Queen Victoria also put in some time there, but decided it was all very silly and sold it off to the City of Brighton. I took a tour of it and the gardens until the late afternoon.


The Royal Pavilion


Then feeling like I'd done enough of Brighton, I wandered back through the streets in the direction of the train station. Then back into London right in the middle of rush hour (poorly planned!), and into the hustle and bustle and smog of the city.

So that was my mini-day trip. I made it back to Chad and Michelle's flat in Finsbury Park, where they had a lovely dinner waiting. They are too too kind to me, letting me crash on their futon for two weeks AND feeding me!!

Other than that, I've been working and running lots of errands. I signed my contract for my new flat in Camden Town, and paid for the first four weeks of that, so I'm all set with a place to live for at least eight weeks starting October 1st. After that? Who knows. I work better spontaneously anyways.

Monday I also managed to get out, catching an afternoon showing of "The Queen" with Helen Mirren, who does queens very well, I must say. Then I made my way to the Thames River where I'd heard some festival was going on. I ended up stumbling across a massive, Festivale inspired parade with loads of dancers adorned with feathers and neon colors shaking their stuff all down the Strand. I watched that for awhile, confused about what was going on (which didn't stop several people from asking me! Everyone always asks me these things, and for directions too! I never have any idea!).

And that's what I've done since moving out. Tomorrow I work and pack, and Friday morning bright and early I head out to catch a flight to visit Claire in Oslo until Tuesday. I can't wait to see me some fjords! They're still not letting anyone bring any liquid anything on the flights, so I will be attempting to travel without any toiletries whatsoever. This will be fun. Especially since apparently Claire doesn't stock conditioner. I expect much frizz!

Oh, and I have pictures, but Blogger is being a bumhead and not letting me post them. So check back laters for pretty pictures of the sea and beach.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you got to taste the Taffy Apples on the Pier.

Monday, September 25, 2006 7:34:00 PM  
Blogger andystardust said...

The Queen is going to be a Special Presentation at this year's Chicago International Film Festival.

I'm glad you're finding ways to enjoy this in between time.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 1:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

invisible hit counter