Library School Dropout Alum!
Ahhhh. . .school. Done. Dissertation? In. Am I relaxing? Am I vacationing in the South of France?
No. I have immediately begun wondering what I'm going to do for a) a job, and b) a place to live two weeks from today!
Has been very anti-climactic. Still waiting for my debaucherous celebrations to start. I think someone should at least take me out to dinner!
Anyways, Thursday after getting up early and having my dissertation bound, I headed into campus with Danielle to turn it in! I literally quivered with excitement! Was grand!
We met up with our classmates Ruth and Julia who were also turning in their dissertations and just kind of sat outside the school and had a moment of "Phewwwww...ok, now what?" Vanda, everyone's favorite teacher, happened by and we all had a good chat. Talking with her really gave it a "last day of school" feeling. I'm glad I got to see her again.
She kindly agreed to capture the ecstatic moment when we all completed our degree requirements!!

Here is Julia, Danielle, a VERY excited me, and Ruth gathered outside the School for Library, Archives and Information Studies one last time.
After that, we had some delicious high tea in the crypt, and then sat in the sun on the steps in Trafalgar Square just enjoying the feeling. It was a good feeling.
Friday, I headed to work like normal since I had nothing else to do! Spent the afternoon providing free data entry services. Fun! Then I mosied over to meet Danielle and some other classmates for an evening in the Fitzroy Pub to have a couple drinks in celebration of being awesome. Good to see people again, though not as many people came as should have. Hopefully as long as we're all in town we'll continue to meet up occasionally.
Saturday I sat around kind of shell-shocked and attempted to devise a plan for what to do next. I also started looking up available flats since I have exactly two weeks left in my student accomodation (which I will sorely miss! Big room, great location, verrrry cheap!!).
Sunday I checked out one flat. Extremely cheap, but was in pretty cruddy shape and the girl was taking the bed, so I'd have no furniture! So, that didn't pan out. I'm sure I'll find something, though! Hope?
Today was interesting. In my panic of having no job and worrying about having no bank account into which I could deposit a paycheck, I jokingly asked Claire if there were any openings at her old job. It was a part-time job grading papers for kids in an after-school tutoring program. She said to try and gave me the email address of the lady in charge, and I did, and almost immediately got a reply saying I was a lifesaver because she needed one more person and to come by Monday.
So I head out west thinking I'm going to have a brief meeting/job interview. Instead, I immediately find myself sat down grading papers for three hours while about a billion children come in waving file folders and wanting stickers. So apparently I have a job. It's only six hours a week, but it's a start. And it pays, apparently, in cash. I think. I really wasn't told anything. At all. One of the girls there asked me if I was working Thursdays too, and I was like, "Um. . .?"
If only getting all jobs were that easy! First one to the door gets it!
Oh, and a bit of fun on the Underground today! To get there I had to take the Tube down from Kentish Town and change to the Piccadilly Line at Leicester Square. I'm transferring down below ground at Leicester Square when everyone starts walking away from the platform. I should mention that I had my iPod on and was deaf to the world. I think, this is kind of odd behavior. Then I see a vested London Underground employee jogging down the platform waving people towards the exits. Oh, this will be fun. I rip out my earphones and hear an announcement evacuating the station because of an emergency.
The station got emptied out, and all sorts of things including the streets around the entrances were roped off and the place was crawling with cops. My guess is there was a "bomb" in the form of some doofus's forgotten luggage. Took ages to get out of the station, so had it been real I probably didn't have much of a chance!
Anyways, I called the place and was like "Um, was evacuated from Underground. . .might be late?" She was very understanding! I was about to go in search of a bus when I overheard one of the cops who was blocking off traffic saying it would only be a few more minutes and they'd open the station again so I waited and they did, and we were off again. Wasn't even late!
Happens all the time, I know, but this was the first time I experienced firsthand! I'm glad these sorts of things are still thrilling enough for me to not notice the huge inconvenience.
No. I have immediately begun wondering what I'm going to do for a) a job, and b) a place to live two weeks from today!
Has been very anti-climactic. Still waiting for my debaucherous celebrations to start. I think someone should at least take me out to dinner!
Anyways, Thursday after getting up early and having my dissertation bound, I headed into campus with Danielle to turn it in! I literally quivered with excitement! Was grand!
We met up with our classmates Ruth and Julia who were also turning in their dissertations and just kind of sat outside the school and had a moment of "Phewwwww...ok, now what?" Vanda, everyone's favorite teacher, happened by and we all had a good chat. Talking with her really gave it a "last day of school" feeling. I'm glad I got to see her again.
She kindly agreed to capture the ecstatic moment when we all completed our degree requirements!!

Here is Julia, Danielle, a VERY excited me, and Ruth gathered outside the School for Library, Archives and Information Studies one last time.
After that, we had some delicious high tea in the crypt, and then sat in the sun on the steps in Trafalgar Square just enjoying the feeling. It was a good feeling.
Friday, I headed to work like normal since I had nothing else to do! Spent the afternoon providing free data entry services. Fun! Then I mosied over to meet Danielle and some other classmates for an evening in the Fitzroy Pub to have a couple drinks in celebration of being awesome. Good to see people again, though not as many people came as should have. Hopefully as long as we're all in town we'll continue to meet up occasionally.
Saturday I sat around kind of shell-shocked and attempted to devise a plan for what to do next. I also started looking up available flats since I have exactly two weeks left in my student accomodation (which I will sorely miss! Big room, great location, verrrry cheap!!).
Sunday I checked out one flat. Extremely cheap, but was in pretty cruddy shape and the girl was taking the bed, so I'd have no furniture! So, that didn't pan out. I'm sure I'll find something, though! Hope?
Today was interesting. In my panic of having no job and worrying about having no bank account into which I could deposit a paycheck, I jokingly asked Claire if there were any openings at her old job. It was a part-time job grading papers for kids in an after-school tutoring program. She said to try and gave me the email address of the lady in charge, and I did, and almost immediately got a reply saying I was a lifesaver because she needed one more person and to come by Monday.
So I head out west thinking I'm going to have a brief meeting/job interview. Instead, I immediately find myself sat down grading papers for three hours while about a billion children come in waving file folders and wanting stickers. So apparently I have a job. It's only six hours a week, but it's a start. And it pays, apparently, in cash. I think. I really wasn't told anything. At all. One of the girls there asked me if I was working Thursdays too, and I was like, "Um. . .?"
If only getting all jobs were that easy! First one to the door gets it!
Oh, and a bit of fun on the Underground today! To get there I had to take the Tube down from Kentish Town and change to the Piccadilly Line at Leicester Square. I'm transferring down below ground at Leicester Square when everyone starts walking away from the platform. I should mention that I had my iPod on and was deaf to the world. I think, this is kind of odd behavior. Then I see a vested London Underground employee jogging down the platform waving people towards the exits. Oh, this will be fun. I rip out my earphones and hear an announcement evacuating the station because of an emergency.
The station got emptied out, and all sorts of things including the streets around the entrances were roped off and the place was crawling with cops. My guess is there was a "bomb" in the form of some doofus's forgotten luggage. Took ages to get out of the station, so had it been real I probably didn't have much of a chance!
Anyways, I called the place and was like "Um, was evacuated from Underground. . .might be late?" She was very understanding! I was about to go in search of a bus when I overheard one of the cops who was blocking off traffic saying it would only be a few more minutes and they'd open the station again so I waited and they did, and we were off again. Wasn't even late!
Happens all the time, I know, but this was the first time I experienced firsthand! I'm glad these sorts of things are still thrilling enough for me to not notice the huge inconvenience.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home