.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Lauren Goes Looney In London

Watch in awe as Lauren wanders aimlessly through London, hoping against hope that she will stumble across Mr. Darcy, Mark Darcy, or even just Colin Firth. Or, more likely, read about the wild times she has while standing around in queues and wondering why she has eight different types of coinage in her pocket.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Settling In Again

Hello Loyal Readers!

There hasn't been much updating because there hasn't been much to report. Mostly I've just been adjusting to my new household, which has been a riot.

There five other people besides me that live here, and three of them are Greek. There is also a French girl, and an English boy. In addition to them, there are all their girlfriends, boyfriends, and other friends that are constantly staying over. On any given night there are roughly between 8 and 10 people milling around the house. Half of them are typically on the main floor sitting around the television smoking, drinking wine, eating Greek sausages and feta cheese, and watching America's Next Top Model. That's usually where you'll find me as well. Who am I to turn down offerings of wine and feta cheese? Num!

The English fella works at The Abbey Pub in Kentish Town, where I have been on a few occasions, and a few weekends ago he DJ'ed there. The entire house went, and I invited along my friend Christine. There we drank overpriced pints and listened to his weird music. The following Sunday Christine and I had a little nostalgia shopping trip to a mall (yes, a real live mall! So very exciting!). On that day I learned how much closer everything in London seems when you're driving through it in a car. By tube, it took me 50 minutes to get from my place to Christine's. By car, we travelled an even further distance in about 20. Cars are fast and fun and I miss them.

The rest of my time I've been going to work, seeing a few small shows, and taking little day trips out to neighborhoods I haven't been to yet. Most recently it was Hampstead, which is all fancy schmancy with its little boutiques and cafes and celebrity residences, though far more quaint than its wealthier, more glamorous cousin Kensington. I found the little outdoor Hampstead Creperie that had been recommended to me, which is famous enough for me to have had to queue for 20 minutes just to get my crepe. I even had to endure a rainshower. But it was worth it! Scrumptious!

Things will perk up soon, though. I'm off to Paris Friday morning for three days of whirlwind sightseeing. I'm very excited to finally be seeing Paris for reals this time (as opposed to the two hours I spent there changing trains last December). I have some big concerts coming up that I'm going to with groups of friends, which should be fun. Maybe a few parties, some visitors, and loads more sightseeing so I leave with everything etched into my brain forever.

Rumor has it then that I'll be saying fare thee well to Londonland sometime mid-December, but not forever. Definitely not forever.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, where do you work?

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 12:00:00 AM  
Blogger Lauren Matson said...

At a tutoring place called Kumon. I grade kids' work. It's seriously not exciting!

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 10:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

invisible hit counter